Library and Information Services (309)
CUL99 Museum and Library/Information Services
CUL40199 Certificate IV in Library and Information Services (all of the core competencies)
product has been noted
(endorsed) by the National Training
Quality Council (NTQC).
This Toolbox is available for purchase.
The Library and Information Services Toolbox is divided into 18 sections, each of which is associated with competencies for the Certificate IV in Library and Information Services.
The "control room" for the student is the electronic Workspace, a 2D-3D simulated workplace environment, using a library as the context in which to explore the interactives. The Workspace is installed on the student’s computer (a self-extracting file about 3MB in size) and controls access to other applications, such as word processing/spreadsheets or the Institutions learning management system (including access to chat, email, bulletin boards, discussion list etc), and of course the multimedia content of the Toolbox.
The Toolbox uses a simulated work environment through which the learners access the required information and perform tasks. The competencies covered in the Toolbox are difficult to acquire without reference to a work environment. Each competency consists of a number of tasks which in turn contain a number of topics. Each topic has supporting content and most topics have exercises; the learner may enter either area directly. The learner may study the content and then check their understanding by doing the exercises, or do the exercises first and then dip into the content as necessary. The topics may be taken in any order (although a numbered sequence is shown on the screen) and the learner can tick the ones completed on screen, (this data is stored on the local PC and these ticks are user specific).
The learning design is based on the sequenced presentation of topics. Learners are expected to read information that is presented and are able to consolidate the information through visual and interactive practice activities.
BSZ404A Train small groups
CULLB307A Use multimedia equipment
CULLB401A Contribute to client access to information
CULLB402A Contribute to effective working relationships
CULLB403A Develop and apply own information literacy skills in working with clients
CULLB404A Contribute to structuring bibliographic and other information systems
CULLB405A Manage own work, development and learning
CULLB406A Organise and coordinate work activities
CULLB407A Use networked services effectively to provide access to information
Toolboxes can be purchased from eWorks online ordering system. Visit the online shop now to order 309 Library Information Services Toolbox.
The aim of this Teacher Guide is to provide supporting documentation for teachers who use this Toolbox to deliver the core competencies in the Certificate IV in Library and Information Services.
This Toolbox Teacher Guide is designed to assist teachers or supervisors in several ways:
- It provides installation instructions for setting up the RTO’s website.
- It provides an overview of the educational approach to learning which has shaped this Toolbox and the structure that has resulted from this approach.
- It provides guidelines for the use of the Toolbox for students who want to develop the skills delivered by the Certificate IV in Library and Information Services. These guidelines can be applied either by RTOs whose business is higher education, or by RTOs who are offering this qualification through their workplace.
- It provides guidelines for changing the content within the Toolbox, tips for instructional design and technical documentation for installing, using or customising the Toolbox.
- It provides guidelines for teachers, including information about how to match different learning styles to the different pathways provided, the types of exercises included, and the responses that teachers may make, and limitations to online learning of which teachers should be aware.
Download the Teacher's Guide for Library and Information Services (Word - 1.8 MB).