Retail Operations (212)
WRR10102 Certificate II in Retail Operations
product has been noted
(endorsed) by the National Training
Quality Council (NTQC).
This Toolbox is available for purchase.
View Version Improvements
The Retail Operations Toolbox offers a stimulating and interactive learning environment. Learners take the role of an employee at the Ocean View Grove, a thriving (metaphorical) shopping centre on the coast. Content is provided by means of 'real-life' scenarios and situations in which the learner interacts with fictional staff and customers as they work through the activities in the Toolbox.
The learning activities require learners to interact with their current workplace. To facilitate learners not currently working in a retail workplace, two model stores (called 'virtual' stores) with associated manuals, situations and characters have been provided throughout this course. The model stores include Harriotts, a large department store, and Surfari, a small retail surf shop. Where relevant, material will also be provided for other retail settings, for example supermarkets and food stores.
By working through discrete activities built on a common theme eg. Using the store’s procedure manual, the learner can develop a holistic understanding of retail operations.
WRRCA.1B Operate retail equipment
WRRCS.1B Communicate in the retail workplace
WRRCS.2B Apply point of sale handling procedures
WRRCS.3B Interact with customers
WRRER.1B Work effectively in a retail environment
WRRF.1B Balance register/terminal
WRRI.1B Perform stock control procedures
WRRLP.1B Apply safe working practices
WRRLP.2B Minimise theft
WRRM.1B Merchandise products
WRRM.2B Perform routine housekeeping duties
WRRS.1B Sell products and services
WRRS.2B Advise on products and services
WRRSS.1B Recommend and fit clothing/accessories
West Coast College of TAFE, WA
Product Service Centre
Phone: 1800 155 508
Toolboxes can be purchased from eWorks online ordering system. Visit the online shop now to order 212 Retail Operations Toolbox.
Download the Teacher's Guide for Retail Operations (Word - 1.16 MB).
Issue: Broken link.
'How to update' document:
Instructions for updating The Retail Operations Toolbox 212.doc (302KB)
Download updated files: pg05.zip (3KB)
Last updated: 30.04.08
This Toolbox is a revision (Version 2) of the original. The following is a list of improvements made to this version.
- All weblinks have been checked and amended/removed/updated, as required.
- The Toolbox now has a whole new look/feel that is more modern, clean and sophisticated. Some images have been replaced by photographs.
- Original video footage has been retained.
- The new design of the home page provides a more easily navigable structure to the units, which are now arranged into streams as per the Training Package, rather than Phase A/B/C as it was previously. A number of other changes have been made to the whole design in order to improve navigation both to and through the units.
- A new navigation interface has been designed that clearly shows where more pages are available.
- Consistency in tone (which had been reported to be different between units), has been addressed.
- Metadata has been included as per specifications for all new content.
- A QA and technical test was undertaken for the new unit.
- All "teacher instructions" (eg; instructions to post to bulletin board etc) have been removed from the Toolbox content and added instead to the Teacher's Guide as suggestions for collaborative activities.
- More suggestions for alternate delivery strategies in each activity have been added to the Teacher's Guide. Some tasks and/or activities have been amended to take on a more holistic approach.
- Where possible more scenarios and case studies have been created to complement the existing content.
- Learning outcomes have been made more explicit and detailed competencies for each unit have been provided. Unit competencies are also easier to locate. This has been addressed by adding more detail to the orientation, and to the Teacher's Guide.
- Content has been updated/amended where necessary to reflect the latest version of the competencies within the Retail Training Package.
- An additional elective unit for the Retail Toolbox: "Recommend Clothing and Accessories" has been developed. This has been achieved in consultation with other RTOs nationally and the Retail ITAB.
- Accompanying support information has been included for the new unit in the Teacher’s Guide.
- An index has been added, and the Teacher’s Guide has been updated to reflect the changes in structure and content.