Risks can be minimised by:
- eliminating the risk factors (eg by covering cuts with waterproof dressings)
- using personal protective equipment appropriately
- implementing safe work practices, which may involve modifying existing procedures and work practices
- putting engineering controls in place (eg using equipment to remove a risk)
- providing information to health care workers about personal health conditions that may place them or patients at risk
- providing information to patients
- monitoring compliance with infection control procedures by health care workers and patients.