Standards and LegislationBack
Overview of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
Each State and Territory in Australia has its own workplace health and safety laws. These laws are created and regulated by State or Territory government organisations that are responsible for safety issues.
The objectives of the legislation are to:
- promote and secure the safety and health of people at work
- protect people at work against hazards
- assist in securing safe and hygienic work environments
- reduce, eliminate and control the hazards
- foster cooperation and consultation between employers and employees
- promote education and community awareness.
Click on your State or Territory to go to the website for each organisation's OHS legislation and information.