NWP103A: Demonstrate care and safe practices
You'd be surprised how many common hazards can be found in workplaces.
- Slips and trips: Anything lying around on the floor can cause a tripping hazard. Slips and trips can result in injuries such as strains or fractures.
- Lifting: Lifting heavy items alone, or lifting items incorrectly, can cause serious and long-term back injury
- Electricity: Electricity can kill in an instant. Always follow safety instructions on equipment.
- Moving machinery: Make sure you stay behind barriers and avoid loose clothing which can get tangled in moving parts.
- Fire: Depending on the environment, fire can take hold in minutes or seconds. Not only can it cause burns, but serious damage from smoke inhalation.
- Working at heights: Falling from any height can result in serious injury and even death.
Have a look at the signs below and find out what you can do about common workplace hazards.
- Slips and trips: Ensure workplaces are kept clean and clear.
- Lifting: Never lift a heavy weight on your own. Ask for assistance or use a trolley. Use correct lifting practices. Never lift and twist.
- Electricity: Look for signage to warn about high voltage equipment. Use isolation switches. Follow safety instructions.
- Moving machinery: Check out warning signs. Follow work dress codes. Make sure you have received proper training on equipment before you use it.
- Fire: Keep flames away from flammable material. Know where the fire extinguisher/blanket is located. Know where the nearest fire exits are.
- Working at heights: Only use correct equipment at heights. Check out requirements for bracing and harnessing if appropriate.